In 2013, Credit Union ONE celebrated 75 years of service to our members, partners and communities. Our story began in 1938 when 15 neighbors organized the Ferndale Co-Op Credit Union in a local church basement, pooling $158 and their shared commitment to "people helping people". Membership grew slowly at first, to 1,500 in the 1940s, then 14,000 in the 1950s. By the early 1960s we were one of Michigan's ten largest credit unions.
In 1967 our pioneering partnership with Hutzel Hospital became the first of many long-term alliances with leading health care and educational institutions. Today these community partners include the Detroit Medical Center Hospitals, Beaumont Hospitals, St. John Health Systems, Munson Medical Center, and the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, just to name a few.
In 1984 we changed our name to Credit Union ONE, a transition designed to mark our emergence as a statewide institution. Our service areas now include 20 branch offices in Metro-Detroit, Grand Rapids and Traverse City.
Through the years, Credit Union ONE has been committed to providing exceptional member value across a complete portfolio of financial products and services. We were among the first to offer the 24/7 convenience of ATM and 24-Hour Telephone Banking account access. We built one of the state's most comprehensive mortgage lending programs, and as member needs evolved, added personal financial planning, retirement and investment products, insurance and brokerage services, becoming a single source for all of our members' financial service needs.
As we enter our eighth decade, Credit Union ONE looks forward to continuing our tradition of high quality based on the same principles that have guided our success since 1938: People Helping People; treating our members with honesty and respect; and providing exceptional value by delivering outstanding products and services anytime, anywhere. We continually strive to provide products and services that are convenient, easy, affordable and dependable.